Polar Ice began as a family business established in 1996, with only two employees and a vision to develop the dry ice market in Ireland. Initially manufacturing ‘wet’ ice and importing dry ice from the mainland UK, the company has focused solely on dry ice manufacturing since 2002.
Today, Polar Ice has grown the market by over 800% and employs a team of 18 people. With a dedicated production plant based in the midlands and depots in Dublin, Cork, and Portadown, Polar Ice is the leading manufacturer and supplier of Dry Ice in Ireland.
Alongside dry ice we also offer gel packs and various insulated storage solutions. Both domestic and international customers now have the option to buy dry ice and our other products online.
Manufacturing Expansion and Development
We invested in state of the art manufacturing equipment from CO2 Air, suppliers of dry ice production machinery in Atlanta, Georgia, who have supplied and installed our Pelletizers, Block Presses, Reformer, and Gas Recovery Systems.
An expansion of our manufacturing plant saw the installation of two CO2 storage towers. These storage vessels offer a combined capacity of 100 tonnes of CO2. Polar Ice has a manufacturing capacity of 30 tonnes of dry ice day over five production lines. Our now 12,500 sq. ft. manufacturing facility is centrally located in Portarlington, Co. Laois, with depots in Dublin, Cork, and Armagh.
In 2013, Polar Ice invested in ‘Food Grade’ manufacturing and we are certified to BRC v7 and ISO9001:2015. Consistently achieving the highest grade in our BRC Quality audits, we are the approved dry ice supplier to some of the country’s top food producers and meat processors.
We operate a clean-room manufacturing environment to prevent any physical, chemical, or microbial contaminants in our dry ice. Furthermore, we employ our own quality assurance experts to maintain our exacting standards.
Protecting your business
Our food-grade dry ice helps industries undertake critical and time-sensitive operations; from temperature-controlled logistics to cold-storage, food processing to airline catering, blood banks to freeze branders, big pharma to special effects.
We put the customer first and never compromise on quality. Employing the highest manufacturing standards, with absolute and ever-ready customer support.
With it’s own FTA-accredited transport fleet, Polar Ice offer guaranteed next-day delivery and a same-day urgent delivery service to meet our customers vital needs.
We have received recognition of our achievements in the form of several industry awards:
- Fleet Transport Awards – Own Account Transport Operator of the Year 2020
- Irish Accountancy Awards 2016 and 2017 – Winner 2017 Practice/Industry
- Ulster Bank Business Achievers Award 2015 – Winner of Women Led Business in Leinster
- Offaly LEO Innovation Award 2014 – Finalist
- SFA Awards 2013 – Finalist
- Midlands Ireland Awards 2012 – Finalist
- National Enterprise Award 2010 – Finalist
- Offaly County Enterprise Award 2010 – Winner
- Midlands Ireland ‘Outstanding Business’ Award 2012 – Shortlisted
- Small Firms Association ‘Innovator of the Year’ Award 2013 – Finalist
- Small Firms Association ‘Environmental Sustainability’ Award 2013 – Finalist
Articles about Polar Ice have been published in The Sunday Independent, The Irish Times, Irish Farmers Journal and Sunday Business Post, as well as management profiles in professional journals.
Our Journey Milestones
From Polar Ice’s establishment in 1996 to current day projects
Need dry ice - talk to us
We manufacture a range of dry ice products including blocks, slices, and pellets, with custom-sized dry ice products available on request. We also offer dry ice collection depots in Santry in Co. Dublin, Little Island in Co. Cork, and Portadown in Co. Armagh.
Contact us today to discuss your unique dry ice requirements. For quick and easy ordering with next-day delivery, buy from our online store.
Polar Ice is a Prompt Payment Signatory
Polar Ice is a signatory of the prompt payment code which is about encouraging and promoting best practice between organisations and their suppliers.
Code signatories pledge to:
Pay suppliers on time
- Within the terms agreed at the outset of the contract, or 30 days, in accordance with legislation
- Without attempting to change payment terms retrospectively
- Without changing practice on length of payment for smaller companies on unreasonable grounds
Give clear guidance to suppliers:
- Providing suppliers with clear and easily accessible guidance on payment procedures
- Ensuring there is a system for dealing with complaints and disputes which is communicated to suppliers
- Advising them promptly if there is any reason why an invoice will not be paid to the agreed terms
Code signatories agree to:
Encourage good practice
- By requesting that lead suppliers encourage adoption of the code throughout their own supply chains
Learn more about the code at www.promptpayment.ie
Unit 3 Portarlington Ind. Est.,
T: +353 (0)578623860
Unit 42 Airways Ind. Est.,
T: +353 (0)18623730
Unit 624 Harbour Point Business Park,
T: +353 (0)214634607
Northern Ireland Office
Unit 47 CIDO Business Complex,
T: +44 (0)2843758045